Chinese pronunciation 101

I still can remember when I began learning Chinese, every day we would spend the first 10 minutes of the class being tested on the four tones of Chinese pronunciation. My teacher would read a word or character and we would have to guess what tone she was using.
When your Mandarin Chinese language tutor says it’s time to practice tones:

Then the tables would turn and we would have to read words out loud and have our tones corrected. I complained about how useless this was, and how we should be using our time more effectively learning grammar points or new words. Like a typical inexperienced student, I couldn’t have been more wrong!
I failed to realize then how important tones are, and I regret not having paid more attention.
Here are the elementary knowledge about the four tones:
  •  First tone: a flat high pitch tone, g. , ma1, mum. Like a singer practicing ‘Fa’.

·     
  •         Second tone: a rising tone, start from a low to a high pitch, e.g. , ma2, feeling numb. As if you are asking a question.

·       
  •         Third tone: fall and rise, start at a neutral tone then dip lower and end in a high pitch, e.g., ma3, horse. Imagine you are surprised.

·    
  •       Fourth tone: falling tone, start at a high pitch and strongly drop the pitch down, e.g. , ma4, curse. My favorite tone, you just sound angry!


       (*There is also a neutral tone.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn to use "no wonder" in Chinese

How to learn Chinese Pinyin

Traditional Chinese Clothes that People Still Wear Today